Thursday, September 4, 2014

I Celebrate Life

Today I turn 28
It’s my birthday and I celebrate
But not the fact that I’ve survived to this date
For making my death day a little more late
And not the fact that I was born on this day
As if sun and moon and stars arrayed
Somehow created my life in some way
I celebrate life
I celebrate me
I celebrate this gift from God to be
The fortune to breathe and move and see
To follow opportunity
To cry and laugh, to doubt and believe
To give away and humbly receive
I celebrate life
My time on earth
My open identity that began with my birth
The possibilities for laughter and smiles and mirth
The relationships of unparalleled worth
I celebrate life
The opposite of death
The air that fills my lungs with breath
The sun, the dirt, my sense of touch
The smell of pancakes made for lunch
The way I feel after a run
Or when work’s done and I have come
With someone fun whose hair’s undone
To sit and watch the setting sun
Today I turn 28
Today’s it's life I celebrate
I smile forgetting pain, struggles, and strife
But in reality days like this are rife
For life is a celebration of life

2 comments: