Saturday, August 9, 2014

Is Poverty Relative?

Ever since leaving the days of my pre-adolescence naivety I have strongly believed that the words “rich” and “poor” were relative.  You are always richer than someone and you are always poorer than someone.  However, my views may have been more accurate when I was a kid. 

I remember when I was young anyone with a two-story house or more than one functional vehicle was placed into the category of “well off” (aka rich) right along with Bill Gates and President Clinton.  Rich people could buy whatever they wanted, go wherever they wanted, and eat as many chips and snickers bars as they chose.  They had no worries in life; they were rich.  While us poor kids envied their Schwinn bicycles and weekly allowance, we also condemned the rich kids to lives of spoiled ingratitude and incapacitating weakness.  If I learned anything at all from the Boxcar Children, it was that poor kids always won the fistfights. 

As I grew older I found that a lot of those people with two-story houses and multiple cars described themselves as poor and placed the magical line of wealth that divided worry-free lives from suffering at some arbitrary level even higher.  I also became aware of a people group referred to as “the homeless” who lived in dumpsters and begged for food.  I corrected my naive world view and concluded that it was all relative.  Even an aerospace engineer had to worry about finances; compared to a CEO who just picked out whatever car he wanted according to his fancy, he could be considered poor.  The same way, even a homeless person begging outside of McDonald’s is rich compared to those impoverished pot-bellied orphans in Africa. 

The World Bank doesn't think like that though.  They place the international poverty level at exactly $1.25 a day.  There is a definite line and if you earn less than that you are poor.  As I began to travel a little bit I started to wonder if maybe it really was that black-and-white after all and I had only believed otherwise because I grew up in such a rich country.  I’d never met anyone who lived on less than $1.25 a day.  I’d never met a poor person in my life until I went to West Africa.  I’m not sure poor people actually exist within the States. Even the poorest homeless person lives on more than $450 a year.  Suddenly it seemed obvious though; there are a certain number of people in the world who are lacking the necessities of life, somebody out there is the poorest person in the world and somebody is the richest and that's where the scale ends.  

Though I was convinced from my travels that there is an actual black-and-white line between rich and poor, I still didn't necessarily agree that that line was $1.25 a day.  After all, $1.25 goes quite a bit further here in India than in the States, at least in some categories.  Recently I came across a definition of poor that came from an actual poor person (not sure why I never thought to ask one before).  “The difference between poor people and rich people is that poor people are hungry.  If you aren't hungry then you’re rich.”  He wasn't talking about being hungry between meals, he was talking about being hungry all the time, from sunrise to sunset, even during and after meals. 

Imagine removing all the unnecessary things from your life.  Your vehicle, your washing machine, your roof and walls, your clothes, your oven, your hose faucet, your health insurance, and your toilet paper.  Just bare survival.  Now imagine that even with all those expenses gone, living barefoot on the sidewalk, you still can’t afford to feed your family or even yourself.  I don’t mean you can’t buy yourself a happy-meal, I mean you can’t afford more than one meager portion of plain rice per day and a small pile of cow dung with which to cook it.  Now imagine you have lived that way for years.  Now you are poor. 

As far as whether it is ‘better’ to be poor or not or whether countries like the US who have far less poor people in them are ‘better’ I am not qualified to say.  I don’t have the ability to experience or even understand all the effects and implications of true poverty; the hopelessness, lack of education, disease, and everything else inferred by being poor.  I can, however, share a small glimpse I had into what it feels like to be hungry, not because I couldn't afford food though, it was only self-imposed. 

About two months ago I did a 5 day fast while, like the poor people around me, still working full time.  It was the longest 5 days of my life.  I became extremely lethargic, unable to focus or think straight, void of all motivation, distant from my surroundings, and by the last day even dangerously ill.  I remember sitting at the bottom of the stairs up to my hotel room trying to work up the will power to climb them, thinking that it surely will have been one of the biggest accomplishments of my life.  At least I had a comfy hotel room to look forward to.  My work isn't even as physically demanding as most of the poor people here in Kolkata, who carry giant loads of goods on their heads or strain against rickshaws all day.  Imagine every day exerting yourself to your physical limits but only eating a single bowl of plain rice; and for years on end!  For billions of people in the world that is just life.


That’s my limited understanding of poverty.  But don’t take my word for it, ask one of the 1,500,000,000 people in the world who experience it every day.  One thing I know they definitely won’t say: it’s all relative.  

No comments:

Post a Comment