Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Unknown

The other day I got an email from a friend and in reply to my expression of impatience she told me that eight days didn't sound like long to her. I guess that's true, eight days isn't that long to wait to go somewhere for six months, but right now it feels like an eternity. This trip to India has been a dream of mine for years and to say I'm excited would be a severe understatement. I suppose I should try to keep my expectations modest but the possibilities seem endless.

I love the unknown. There is nothing more exciting than a pitch black void. When someone tells you they got you a gift you get excited. You wonder if it's a card or a TV or a tractor or maybe a private jet. It could be anything. If you are looking for a job it's an exciting place to be. Who knows what you might find, maybe a taste-testing position that pays 80k a year. I remember one time I was exploring a jungle in Thailand and I kept coming across caves. Each time I would stare at the black hole in front of me as I fought through the foliage to reach the opening and I would wonder just how deep this one would be. It might open up to a giant cavern. The dark unknown held so many possibilities.  As I shone my headlamp around the cave it revealed the unknown. The cave would go from endless possibilities to one specific dimension. Sometimes it was disappointing because of how small the cave was but sometimes the light would be swallowed up or end at a turn or reveal a colony of bats. Whatever the cave held was exciting but the unknown was pure imagination.

Finding a Cave
Inside the Cave


This blog is for everyone struggling with the unknown. Don't be afraid of it; embrace the possibilities and enjoy this unique time when your imagination determines your destiny. The dark is exciting.
India is six months of unknown. Who knows what my headlamp is going to reveal. I hope to see lives changed, myself changed, God showing up when I can't do it without Him, literal miracles. So yes, right now, eight days seems like forever.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and prayers! I hope to be blogging much more consistently when I get to India.

No comments:

Post a Comment